The Membership process
There are four steps to become a Redeemer Downtown member.
This two and a half hour seminar will focus on:
deepening attendees understanding of spiritual practices as a means of spiritual formation
learning about the history and vision of Redeemer Downtown, acquainting attendees with its ministries and opportunities, and dialoguing with a pastor and other congregants on questions attendees may have about the church or Christian community. Register here.
Individual applications (spouses, please do your own application) must be completed before moving on to step three. You may begin and complete your membership application anytime. Please stay tuned.
*Steps 1 and 2 may be completed in any order. Please check the class registration schedule below to find out when they are being offered.
Step 3: Membership Interview
Meet with an elder (60 to 75 minutes) for your membership interview. Our staff and elders will work with you to schedule an appointment. If recommended for membership, your name will be submitted to the monthly Session meeting for approval. Married couples who both profess the Christian faith will interview together. Both spouses need to complete steps one, two, and three individually to move on to the interview.
Step 4: Membership vows and baptism
Upon Session approval, take your public membership vows at a worship service. If you have not been baptized before, your baptism will be scheduled for the same service as your vows.
If you have questions or need to schedule an interview, email [email protected].
Transfer of membership
You should notify your previous church when you decide you would like to become a member at Redeemer. Even if you are coming from another Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) church, you must go through all four steps listed above.
Former churches may send a letter or certificate of transfer to:
Redeemer Presbyterian Church Downtown
1166 Avenue of the Americas, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10036
The letter or certificate should say:
- You are a member in good standing.
- They are releasing you into Redeemer’s spiritual care.
Under our bylaws, Redeemer does not allow dual membership — that is, membership in both Redeemer and any other church at the same time, even if that church is a PCA church.
If you have never been baptized before and would like to be, you will need to complete the church membership process at Redeemer first. Be sure to discuss your desire at your membership interview. This will allow you to be scheduled for baptism on the day you take your membership vows in front of your affiliated congregation.
Infant and child baptism
- Please read our overview of Redeemer’s position on infant baptism. Redeemer will baptize infants of church members.
- Contact [email protected] to learn of upcoming dates and to register your infant for baptism. Please indicate your child's full name and date of birth.
- Redeemer will baptize your older child after he or she has made a made a profession of faith. Each congregation offers a Communicants Class at least once a year. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Upcoming Intro to Redeemer Downtown and Christian Formation sessions:
Our next scheduled Intro to Redeemer Downtown sessions are below. All sessions are at The Salvation Army. You can register for any of these dates at downtown.redeemer.com/dtintro.
- Sunday, October 6, 2019 - 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the 7th Floor
- Sunday, January 12, 2020 - 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the 7th Floor
- Sunday, March 29, 2020 - 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the 7th Floor
- Sunday, June 7, 2020 - 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the 7th Floor
If you have any questions about the Intro to Redeemer Downtown session, please email Marie Sclafani.