Serve on Sundays
Are you interested in making our Downtown service a warm and welcoming experience for all that attend? And do you have a heart to see people encounter God through your service? Well, you have come to the right place! Check out the many ways you can actively serve our Downtown congregation below!
- Usher team: Our team of ushers is dedicated to creating an atmosphere that is welcoming, comfortable and worshipful in support of our services so that the gospel can be received every Sunday. The role includes greeting congregants entering the sanctuary, providing directions and timely information, helping with seating, as well as distributing bulletins and collecting the offering. It is an ideal ministry for team players who are cool under pressure, capable of being assertive in love, and can be on their feet for long periods of time. Serve on the Usher Team.
- Communion team: The communion servers have a privileged responsibility to prepare and distribute the elements of the Lord’s Supper. This ministry requires all servers to be resident members of Redeemer Presbyterian Church Downtown. Outside of serving the elements, volunteers may be asked to help clean the trays following the service as well. Serve on the Communion Team.
- Book table (the Book Table is currently suspended because of the pandemic) The book table volunteers encourage the spiritual growth of the congregation by recommending literature we offer for sale. This is ideal for avid readers who are enthusiastic about Christian authors and literature and are comfortable interacting with others one-on-one. Other responsibilities include setup and tear down, managing money, and keeping track of inventory.
- Welcome team: Welcome team volunteers seek to facilitate a warm and engaging connection between visitors and the church before and after each worship service. Volunteers arrive before service to warmly greet congregants as they enter church on 14th Street. Then following the service, volunteers serve at our Connect Table, where they provide more information regarding Redeemer, its vision, ministries, events and opportunities to become more active in the community. Serve on the Welcome Team.
Requirements to serve
While you prayerfully consider connecting to Redeemer’s community of volunteers, please consider the following commitments:
Please commit to serve once-a-month for one year. (And one additional 5th Sunday a year)
If you cannot attend the Sunday you are scheduled to serve, please find your own replacement, and commit to serve on a different Sunday of need that month. (Don’t worry, we have a system for this).
Attend a volunteer training session within your first year of serving. You will receive dates and reminders of when to register.
Join us as we pray for the Downtown congregation. There can never be too many people praying for the city, our neighbors and our congregation. Contact [email protected].
Our Downtown Choir is a Worship Arts ministry of Redeemer Downtown composed of a group of professional and skilled amateur musicians in our community.
For nearly two thousand years, the Church has followed the Apostle Paul's admonition to sing to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. During Advent and Holy Week seasons, the Downtown Choir leads our congregation in great hymns of the faith and sings masterworks of the Church in the context of worship. Our repertoire ranges from cantatas by Bach and Handel to 20th and 21st-century classics of modern liturgical song.
Please email our AM Music Director, Harrison Hollingsworth, if you are interested in scheduling an audition for 2023's Holy Week Choir.
Thank you for your interest in helping serve the families of Redeemer. We seek to provide the best care for our children through a solid team of volunteers.
From nursery to preschool to fifth grade, we need volunteers to help with our Children’s Ministry. Opportunities to serve include curriculum development, teaching, assisting, greeting and registering children, and room setup. If you have a heart for families and children, come serve with us. Contact Emily Davidson if interested in serving in Nursery and Preschool or Lindsay Andersonif interested in Elementary.
Why volunteer with the Children’s Ministry?
- Invested: Children are the next generation of influencers for Christ in New York and around the world.
- Called: God has given each of us talents to share with others. This is a great place to share your gifts.
- Equipped: Whether you come with training or receive training as you serve with us, your skills and experience will affect families of Redeemer each week.
- Needed: The number of children who attend Redeemer has doubled in the last few years. We need you!
- Community: Your investment in the lives of families and fellow volunteers at Redeemer allows for deeper community. One parent expressed how the community of Children’s Ministry volunteers helps their family stay in the city.
Apply to serve our Children’s Ministry
In order to best equip our volunteers and ensure the safety of all, we have the following application process:
- Fill out the online application HERE
- You are required to complete an application and provide two references before joining a volunteer team.
- Once we receive your application, we will arrange an interview, contact your references and complete your background check.
- Once approved, you will be placed on a volunteer team.
- You will receive ongoing training, and attend an annual training each fall.
What you can expect from us
- Access to current sermons.
- Fellowship and community with other volunteers and Redeemer families.
- Service and training opportunities.
- Prayer from Redeemer’s Prayer Team for your volunteer team.
- Most importantly: Joy in knowing you are impacting the lives of children for all eternity!