Are you interested in serving our Downtown congregation? We are looking for warm, friendly and hospitable people who can serve as greeters, ushers, communion servers and welcome table volunteers. If you like to interact with other people and have a heart to help newcomers feel welcome, sign up for one of our Sunday Service Teams!
- Usher team: Our teams of ushers are dedicated to creating an atmosphere that is welcoming, comfortable and free of distractions to support the worship services so that the gospel can be heard every Sunday. The ushers are responsible for meeting and greeting worshipers into the building, providing directions and timely information, helping with seating, as well as distributing bulletins and collecting the offering. It is an ideal ministry for team players who are cool under pressure, capable of balancing assertiveness with graciousness, and can be on their feet for long periods of time. Serve on the Usher Team.
- Communion team: The communion servers have a privileged responsibility to prepare and distribute the elements of the Lord’s Supper, which is served twice a month. This ministry requires for all servers to be resident members of Redeemer Presbyterian Church Downtown. Serve on the Communion Team.
- Book table: The book table volunteers encourage the spiritual growth of the congregation by recommending literature we offer for sale. This is ideal for avid readers who are enthusiastic about Christian authors and literature and are comfortable interacting with others one-on-one. Other responsibilities include setup and tear down, managing money, and keeping track of inventory. This is a once-per-month commitment. Serve at the Book Table.
- Info table: Information table volunteers seek to facilitate the connection between visitors and the church after each worship service by providing more information regarding Redeemer, its vision, ministries, events and opportunities to get into community. Serve at the Info Table.
Requirements to serve
While you prayerfully consider connecting to Redeemer’s community of volunteers, please consider the following commitments:
Please commit to serve once-a-month for one year. (That’s a dozen times a year).
If you cannot attend the Sunday you are scheduled to serve, please find your own replacement. (Don’t worry, we have a system for this).
Attend a volunteer training session within your first year of serving. You will receive dates and reminders of when to register.
How we serve you
While the Sunday service teams seek ways to better serve the congregation, the staff seeks better ways of serving you, the volunteers.
We hope you will take advantage of our numerous fellowship opportunities throughout the year and a free weekly mp3 sermon subscription available to all our volunteers!
Join us as we pray for the Downtown congregation. There can never be too many people praying for the city, our neighbors and our congregation. Contact [email protected].
Our Downtown Choir is a Worship Arts ministry of Redeemer Downtown, a group of professional and skilled amateur musicians in our community.
For nearly two thousand years, the Church has followed the Apostle Paul's admonition to sing to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. During the seasons of Advent and Holy Week, the Downtown Choir leads our congregation in great hymns of the faith and sings masterworks of the Church in the context of worship. Our repertoire ranges from cantatas by Bach and Handel to 20th and 21st-century classics of modern liturgical song.
Thank you for your interest in helping serve the families of Redeemer. We seek to provide the best care for our children through a solid team of volunteers.
From nursery to preschool to fifth grade, we need volunteers to help with our Children’s Ministry. Opportunities to serve include curriculum development, teaching, assisting, greeting and registering children, and room setup. If you have a heart for families and children, come serve with us. Contact Emily Davidson if interested in serving in Nursery and Preschool or Lindsay Andersonif interested in Elementary.
Why volunteer with the Children’s Ministry?
- Invested: Children are the next generation of influencers for Christ in New York and around the world.
- Called: God has given each of us talents to share with others. This is a great place to share your gifts.
- Equipped: Whether you come with training or receive training as you serve with us, your skills and experience will affect families of Redeemer each week.
- Needed: The number of children who attend Redeemer has doubled in the last few years. We need you!
- Community: Your investment in the lives of families and fellow volunteers at Redeemer allows for deeper community. One parent expressed how the community of Children’s Ministry volunteers helps their family stay in the city.
Apply to serve our Children’s Ministry
In order to best equip our volunteers and ensure the safety of all, we have the following application process:
- Fill out the online application HERE
- You are required to complete an application and provide two references before joining a volunteer team.
- Once we receive your application, we will arrange an interview, contact your references and complete your background check.
- Once approved, you will be placed on a volunteer team.
- You will receive ongoing training, and attend an annual training each fall.
What you can expect from us
- Access to current sermons.
- Fellowship and community with other volunteers and Redeemer families.
- Service and training opportunities.
- Prayer from Redeemer’s Prayer Team for your volunteer team.
- Most importantly: Joy in knowing you are impacting the lives of children for all eternity!